[Scribus] Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Mon Jul 24 05:51:47 CEST 2006

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but as a very new, but skilled DTP, Scribus user, I have to
>> agree with Pat.
>>

> I think what we have is a bit of a paradox. /Some/ find Scribus
> non-intuitive, others the opposite.
> One thing for certain is that the included docs don't, and really never
> did, tell you much about the nuts & bolts of using Scribus.
> The tutorials that have existed have gotten badly outdated, and probably
> illustrate that a tutorial is only going to be useful if there is
> someone to keep it up-to-date.
>
> It also seems that Pat and likely Allen have not been aware of the Wiki
> as a resource, yet there is some very useful information for total
> newbies and experienced DTP'ers who are new to Scribus.
> There probably needs to be a more prominent reference to the Wiki in
> Scribus, and secondly, something on the main page of the Wiki that at
> least does some Wiki self-referencing for the newbie. As I look at  main
> page with the idea of "Where do I start?", it is not readily apparent.
>
> Greg

Greg,
You make some good points.  I knew of the wiki, but had never checked it
out before all the bugs cropped up in trying to work with the "new"
Scribus.  Suggestion.  Why not link the help selection from the menu to
the wiki site, since it seems to be the premiere information source for
Scribus at the moment?  If not that, then another addition to that menu
area for the wiki.  Also, why not mention something during startup of
the program, maybe in the splash screen?  It won't be a cure all, but it
might help get some more experienced users over a few bumps.

My user also mentioned how outdated the tutorial was.  I think I still
have a copy of it myself, but had hoped the program wouldn't get so
complicated to use that it would be necessary to refer too.

thanks,
Pat

--
          ---SuSE Linux v10.1---