[Scribus] Announce 1.2.5 Release

John R. Culleton john
Mon Jul 17 14:48:04 CEST 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 20:31, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. Juli 2006 02:13 schrieb John R. Culleton:
> >
> > With the happy choice of either 1.2.5 or 1.3.3.2, which is to be
> > preferred?
>
> The 1.2.x series is a bit more mature in terms of stability, but is lacking
> lots of features added in 1.3.3.x. If I were you, I would use both of them.
>
> > Are there significant improvements in 1.3.3.2 that
> > should not be missed?
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/1.3.x_Roadmap#1.3.3
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

While I was there I took a peek at 1.3.4 and saw some things like
optical margins that move closer to the familiar TeX world. But I
saw somethig that gave me pause. There was a time when any Open
Source program could be compiled from the sources using
./configure; make; make install. Now each group is adopting a
new and unexpected build procedure. We face a new tower of babel.
Scribus is neat but it isn't my only program. I am reasonably
sure that 1.3.4 or any other new version can continue to be built
under make. And all a make procedure does is compile the
software. I see no compelling reason to change and one big reason
not to---it puts an extra and for some an unexpected burden of
downloading and compiling yet another new packaging protocol.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting