[Scribus] Download for Ubuntu

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen
Mon Jul 10 22:07:04 CEST 2006

Am Mon, 10. July 2006 17:50 schrieb Benjamin Huot:
> > For heaven's sake, lets hope we will never ever see this!
> >
> > Installing and uninstalling an application on a Debian GNU/Linux system
> > is much more easy going and less complicated as on Windows machines.
>
> I agree - Klik is more like a Mac installation
>
> > - On Windows you first have to search for an application in the web or
> > you have to order and pay for an application from your local dealer.
>
> They are all together in one repository. It is open source and designed
> for Linux.
> http://klik.atekon.de/
So what you are talking about runs in windows?
You saw that I'm talking of windows installation procedures here?

> > - Then you have to copy it to your local machine using a removable media
> > or via download, and this for every machine.
> >
> > - And then you have to start an installation program. Not to forget you
> > have to start a different installation programm for most every single
> > application.
>
> It is just one click total for the install.
Again, on a Windows machine?

And why the hell should I install and use a tool as klick when my packet
manager handles all needed things for installation and uninstallation.

> > --- After a couple of installations and uninstallations the machine will
> >     become very unstable and this will ruin the usability you machine.
> >     (I'm not talking of installing core components of the operation
> > system. If installing and deinstalling of applications is a pain,
> > installation and uninstallation of core components of the OS is a hell)
>
> Everything needed for the application that is not included in the
> distribution is put in a single compressed file, so it doesn't touch
> your system or upgrade or interfere with any other software on your machine
So it will put all installed app in a changeroot?
No it doesn't...

> > + On Debian GNU/Linux and it's flavours [1] you just start _one_
> > application called Synaptic which comes along with the installed system.
>
> Klik is already installed on a number of distributions
>
> > BTW.:
> > ++ If you want to uninstall an application just click again on the
> >    application listed in synaptic and it will be removed.
>
> To uninstall a klik application, you just put the file in the trash and
> empty it
That's the lowest minimum of what I expect from a system or application which
installs software. So I don't see this as a benefit worth to be promotzed
here.

> > +++ Install and remove as much applicatrions as you like.
> >     This will _not_ ruin the usability of your machine. Unlike you know
> > it and expect it on Windows systems.
>
> Again the install with Klik will not mess with any other software on
> your machine - it is all in one file on your desktop.
In my eyes klik is as needfull as a goitre for operation systems which come
along with a propper packet management and it's gui tools, e.g. synaptic,
SMART, YaST, and al the others not listed here.

In the end it's only window-dressing to say it positive.

Or if I would be mistrustful I would say it lookes that we just see another
attempt to bloat a running system. It looks like another whattheworldmusthave
marketing bubble, but useless for most of us.

One may snare / catch totaly new and novice linux users who are only familiar
with windows systems till now and don't even know that what is promoted on
this nifty web-site is done by the package management system which comes
along with the installation. It looks close to dupery / swizzle what is
offered here.

To judge klick, I would advise novice linux users that it's inadvisable and
totally useless to use klick. The benefit it brings for novice linux users is
infinitesimal compared to the irritaton it will bring in the end.

Advising tools as klik to novice users can be seen as harmfull as using
unauthorised backports. What it brings in the end is an inconsitent packaging
database or inconsistencies which are a blocker for a later upgrade to a new
version af the installed Linux distribution. Also the mixture of applications
of a wide range of different Linux distributions is known as a big problem on
a long run. Cross installation of applications between different
distributions is a no-go criteria, especially for for novice users

Over the last decade I've seen a couple of tools like this comming up and
passing away shortly after they came up.

I say this because the original thread was started by Pedrie who is a novice
Linux user. So please don't see this as a flame or rudeness against klik but
as a strong warning to novice users.

regards,
Thomas