[Scribus] Export to image, font maximum

frank gaude' tanzen
Sun Jul 2 22:52:18 CEST 2006

Frank Cox wrote:
> Two separate questions:
>
> Is there any way to get a "good" image output from Scribus to post on a web
> page?
>
> I post my flyer online every month here:
> http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net/playing.htm
>
> As you can see, the graphics look fine but the text doesn't.  I have tried
> different ways to get this to work, including directly exporting a png from
> scribus, exporting to a PDF and using Gimp to get a PDF out of that, exporting
> to a postscript file, and so on.  Depending on the method I use, the quality of
> the text output varies from poor to very poor.  As you can see, the image is
> readable and definitely better than nothing, but it's certainly not great.

Using Scribus and InDesign I always make my image just as big as the
screen, and then either use Ksnapshot or Paint Shop Pro to get just the
right sized JPG that I want for the posting on my web site. If I use
Xara LX in Linux I can simply create the size JPG I want directly in the
program and I'm done. To get an idea as to what I design take a look at
one of my sites at:

         http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/

Site loads faster if you have broadband. Click on an image to usually
make it bigger. <smile>
> I have considered the idea of taking a screenshot of the Scribus screen and
> editing that, but then all of the various boxes would show.  And the print
> preview screen is too small for the purpose.

I normally use a 1600 by 1200 dpi monitor, though I have used 1280 by
1024 with equal success, always making the image as big as the screen
will permit and then using Ksnapshot to get it all, just the area I want
for posting.
> Second question:  I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I can't find
> the answer.  What is the practical or reasonable limit to the number of fonts
> that you can have available to Scribus without taking a performance hit?

I load about 1100 fonts in either Windows or Fedora FC5 without much
change in performance. I have one Gigabyte of SDRAM in Linux and two in
Windows.

Good luck, wish I could come to your theater... looks cool! <smile>

frank
cameron park california