[Scribus] How to print 4 copies per page

Calum Polwart scribus
Tue Jan 24 20:50:56 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:29 -0800, Paul Stoffregen wrote:

> Please forgive me for such a basic question... I'm a scribus newbie.

Nothing is stupid if you don't know how.  I think we'd all rather
explain and you learn Scribus than you give up! (And easy questions mean
I get to give something back!)

> I'm working on a small 5.5 by 4.25 inch ad, where 4 will be printed per
> letter-size page.
>
> Is there some way I can get my 5.5 by 4.25 custom size to "tile" or
> "step and repeat", so 4 copies print onto letter paper.  Or do I just
> have lay it out 4 times and be careful to get all 4 identical ?
>

> Thanks,
> -Paul

Not entirely clear what it is you are trying to do.  I think its along
the idea of putting 4 ads - identically on the page and then choping
them once printed to give 4 ads roughly A6 in size - presumably like
ivitiations/fliers etc.

Like this:

+------------+
|#A#    #B#  |
|###    ###  |
|            |
|#C#    #D#  |
|###    ###  |
|            |
+------------+

I know at least 3 ways to do this! Only 1 actually uses Scribus so lets describe that first.

Method 1:

Create the first 'advert' then group the objects and copy and paste x 3 identical groups.  Use Properties (Right Click) to set the left (X-coord) for A and C the same, B & D the same, and then do the same for Y coord of A & B and C & D..
(There are probably options using guides etc as well, to snap the groups to)

Method 2:

Create a 1/4 Letter Page with the single advert on it and export to PDF.  Then use psutils and n-up (they are supplied as functions within the kprinter PDF tool if you use KDE) to get it to put 4 on a page.  You do this by printing the PDF (from Acrobat etc) to a new PDF document.

Method 3:

Use Multivalent (available from SourceForge.net)  - Multivalent is free at command line but isn't opensource :-( but it could do the job too and works better for me than kprinter which seems not to like me!!

Does this help?

Calum