[Scribus] Images in resulting pdf

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Mon Jan 16 22:25:14 CET 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:51:11PM -0500, [KS] wrote:

> >>I have created the pdf of the brochure I'm working on. The are several
> >>images in the brochure and they look very nice when viewed as images.
> >>However, after the conversion to pdf (JPEG compression of Max quality at
> >>original dpi of imgages) there is a lot of black level in the images. It
> >>is as if the image was scanned by a bad scanner unable to distinguish
> >>slight differences in the levels.
> >>
> >>Is there anything I can change to get a better quality output?
> >>Thanks,
> >>/kds
> >>
> >>PS: The original images were png graphics.
> >
> > What are you viewing the PDF in? Acro Reader 7.x including 7.05 (AFAIK) has a
> > transparency colour issue showing things quite strangely. Try KPDF or Acro
> > Reader 5.05. Try also Auto compression and max quality (the default), with
> > resampling turned off.
>
> apt-cache policy acroread
> acroread:
>   Installed: 7.0.1-0.2
>   Candidate: 7.0.1-0.2
>   Version table:
>  *** 7.0.1-0.2 0
>         500 http://ftp.nerim.net sid/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I tried auto compression too, and it gives me the pdf which has the same
> byte size as I get with JPEG and Max quality. I haven't done any
> resampling yet. Don't have kpdf (KDE not installed) but will try in xpdf
> and see if there is any difference.

I always use "Zip" at Maximum quality. I just don't want JPEG
compression to be used - it get's visible too fast IMO. You might try to
convert the PNGs to TIF (use convert input.png -compress Zip output.tif
) and try these. I've never had problems with PNGs though and it sounds
unlikely. Oh, and make sure to turn of resampling of images.

Do you have color management enabled? How do you export your PDF? To
"printer" (which involves RGB->CMYK conversion and you need appropiate
profiles).

Bye, Tino.