[Scribus] pdf form font problem

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Jan 16 21:08:31 CET 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 16:00, Stefano Tansini wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> > On Monday 16 January 2006 15:29, Stefano Tansini wrote:
> >> I have designed a pdf form with scribus 1.3.2 cvs 11/01/06.
> >> For the Text Fields i have used a not standard font
> >> (OCRBStd.otf). The font is included in the pdf.
> >> The standar of pdf is 1.5
> >>
> >> When I compile the form with acrobat reader 7 my Text Fields do
> >> not use the font OCRBStd.otf but font HELVETICA.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the suggestions and excused the penssimo English.
> >
> > What are you viewing the PDF with?
>
> I use Acrobat Reader 7.
>
> > PDF 1.3 supports only a few fonts and perhaps your viewer doesnt
> > know about PDF 1.4+ for this particular feature of PDF???
>
> PDF 1.4+ supports more fonts, I have rechecked now.
>
> > Craig

The problem is it is an Open Type font. That font is also available as
Type1 or True Type as well.

Explanation: Scribus currently converts all Open Type fonts to
outlines in PDF export to prevent issues with older viewers, which
works well 99% of the time.

In this case it does not work, as Reader will use its built in fonts
to substitute any fonts it needs and with forms there is text it
knows exists and must render.

Workaround: use any good quality Type 1 or non-Unicode True Type font.

Peter