[Scribus] Print problem in version 1.2.4-1

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Jan 14 18:38:54 CET 2006

russbucket wrote:
> I sent the following to the CUPS group. Response was it looks like Scribus
> problem.
>
> SuSE10.0 boxed version, Cups 1.1.23-21, Scribus 1.2.4-1, QT 3.3.4, USB2.0
> using libusb. When I check thru admin it just shows the job as aborted.
> More common on ps jobs. The printer prints fine with lpr (actually can print
> the file saved by Scribuson the Epson printer)and my HP IIIP
> prints fine thru CUPS. OpenOffice also prints fine to the Epson printer thru
> CUPS. Cups test page prints OK. I'm using the Epson PPD
> from http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html. Printing was working
> thru CUPs and LPR for Scribus until I recently updated to the above mentioned
> Scribus Version, not sure if Scribus update caused problems
> since KDE Applications were aborting thru CUPS but printing with LPR before
> Scribus update. The PID shown below is the Scribus print job.

It's hard to believe this is a scribus problem. More likely a settings
problem. CUPS and LPR (the old LPRng) are alternatives. If your system
responds to 'lpr' it may be transferring this to CUPS, but maybe not.
Using 'lp' is the more /proper/ syntax for CUPS, according to what I
read when I switched to CUPS. You might try setting the command in the
Scribus printer dialogue to '/usr/bin/lp', which on my FC4 ends up
eventually linking to '/usr/bin/lp.cups', to see what happens (on mine,
'lpr' links to '/usr/bin/lpr.cups').
Next thing might be to have Scribus print to a PS file, and see if you
can print that file outside of Scribus.

Greg