[Scribus] Exporting to PDF - side note

Rainer Heilke rheilke
Sat Jan 7 17:10:56 CET 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:

>Yes, it does. Yes, it is. EPS, being PostScript, is a complex page
>description language, and it can't be embedded converted directly into
>PDF.

One small quibble--EPS, as a _subset_ of PostScript, is emphatically NOT
a "page description language". PostScript is, but if you read the Red
Book (admittedly, second edition, 1990), The PostScript code surrounding
an EPS must deal with the page description (in fact, must do such things
as redefine the showpage command before enclosing the EPS code in the
document). EPS should not be used to define page characteristics, etc.

Not meaning to be a contrarian, but far too many programs have broken
PostScript output by forgetting/ignoring this part of the standard. In a
previous life as a digital printer, Corel was a consistent offender, and
from what I hear, still is. I have not had any issues that I can point
to Scribus' PostScript output (well done, folks!), so let's not make a
mis-statement that may cause this in the future. :-)

We now return you to your regular programming...

Rainer