[Scribus] Bitmap images ("au trait")

David Purton dcpurton
Thu Jan 5 13:42:14 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:23:57PM +0100, Le Tigre wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I had a question today on IRC about images "au trait" (ie bitmap images
> ie B/W only, no grey).
> My problem was: I have some images like that (e.g. barcode, or drawings)
> and I need them to be perfect B/W when I export them in pdf (because if
> theye are exported like grey-images, the printing make some little
> points all around the pictures, meanwhile we'd like a perfect black).
>
> The solution is:
> - in Gimp, use indexed-color, black-and-white.
> - the resolution must be (it's always like that with bitmap images) 900
> dpi min. (and not 300 dpi, which concerns grey-images)
> - you can save them in tif
> - in Scribus, import the images - it says that the images are in RVB,
> but it doesn't matter
> - when you export the PDF, take care about the option "Resamples
> images". You must uncheck this line: because it's that option that
> transform 900dpi-bitmap in 300dpi-grey, and make appear those little points.
>
> It seems perfect to me. Tell me if you see some problems with that.
> And thank you to mrdocs and pjrm on the chat this morning.

It would be nice if gimp had proper bi-level support, actually. I tend
to save as an indexed image from gimp and then convert to a bi-level tiff
using image magic (convert). You get better compression this way.

The handling of these from scribus to pdf is definitely buggy in 1.3. I
haven't looked closely at what scribus is doing but the background comes
out grey...

At present I have been going to EPS then to PDF, but this is no good if
you want fonts included (instead of outlines) obviously.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a