[Scribus] How to update a link?

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Wed Jan 4 11:23:18 CET 2006

Hi,

I go with Christoph's idea of thinking of _all_ the Scribus-related
documents as a project and putting them under a project directory - that
means copying the images you want under your project directory tree,
like you do when creating a website, and using _relative_ links to all
referenced external resources (images or whatever).  I would like to
mention the functionality of Macromedia DreamWeaverMX2004 as an example
- it asks you if you want to copy the image under your website's home
directory tree when you try to insert an image in one of your webpages
and that image is outside your website's directory tree.

This discussion also reminds me of Java's way of handling the JAR files
- all the project's files are _zipped_ in one file - but under a project
diretory.  Though I am not proposing using zip/jar files for Scribus but
a similar approach, perhaps, could be useful.

The problem of having to find all the referenced image files in
different directories also reminds me of Java's way of handling
class-paths - you don't specify a single directory - but a number of
directories to search for files - that is, a list of image directories
could be specified through the preferences dialog to search image files
if they are not found under the project directory ...  So, when you move
your .sla to another system you only have to change the path in one
place using the preferences dialog.  Of course, searching files does
take a bit of time - that won't happen if you use relative paths - the
search can start first from the home/project directory.

Thinking in terms of a project and using relative links (instead of
going for a jar/zip file approach)  is better if we think in terms of
content management systems - a content management system that uses a
different strategy (the pattern!) to manage the textual content and a
different strategy to manage the graphical content (images - bitmaps,
vector files, etc.) - the top-level strategy (the parent from where all
the lower level strategy-related classes are derived from, that is) will
be the same/parent.  Perhaps, out of workflow optimization issues,
images could be put on a separate hard-disk in a separate content
managemnt server (the image directory being linked/mounted on the local
disk) so that the graphic artists as well as the DTP experts could work
in parallel.  When everything has been finalized (images are approved,
text has been proofread, layout is approved, etc.) and those files are
needed together in one directory - perhaps Scribus could use some kind
of an export/collect functionality.

Developers, you see my point?  Don't you think that if you use strategy
pattern then you can you use the same content managemernt system to
manage different content (images, web pages, .sla's, etc.)?  Don't you
think _all_ the different referenced images/resource can be put in a
single/file (some kind of a jar-like file) when they are needed in one
place in one file?  Instead of zeroing in on a _single_ storage/data
management solution, the content management could use a different set of
storage/data management engines in each case (web design/development,
Scribus slas, images, etc.)

Just my two bits!

--
Best regards,