[Scribus] How to update a link?

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Tue Jan 3 00:09:42 CET 2006

>Hi David,
>>>
>>>A not-so-bad way is to use Extras>Manage Pictures to search for the
>>>pictures, though you have to do it one by one. It's better than
>>>right-clicking each frame.
>>

>>  Thanx, but it doesn't work for me. I lose the resizing and placement
>>  with in the frame.
>
>Did you try to change the default behaviour of image frames in the
>preferences, e. g. to "Scale to frame"? This might help.
>
>Anyway, it is an interesting question if image frames should keep the
>behaviour chosen in the properties palette or if they should switch back
>to default after changing the content. IMHO, the first option seems more
>reasonable, and this would mean filing a feature request.
>
>What do you other guys think?

I am with you, Christoph. Users can expect Scribus to leave things as
they were on the last save.

we need a specific dialog for that.

Nonetheless, this raises an issue about updating links for images.
IMO, the dialog "? la Quark" is half way good and should not be taken
as a model. What we really need is a feature that would search images
not only at the first level of a folder (like it does in Quark) but
within any element within a (user) designated folder (so, folders
within folder - at any depth). That way, if images have been moved
around for *any* reason, links could easily be recovered "at once",
without the need to check manually for each and every image as it is
right now (unless of course the images are not within that
arborescence). The reference could be the time of modification and/or
other info that devels know better than I do to determine wether an
image was actually modified since it was imported and fitted into a
Scribus page.

Louis