[Scribus] Wiki stuff : "Workaround for thin spaces"
Tue Feb 21 15:23:07 CET 2006
[Please feel free to put the following in the wiki. It can be
translated as well, of course.]
6 easy steps to get faked thin spaces into Scribus.*
1. Edit the Preferences > Short Words file so only the punctuation
signs that need thin spaces are in the list. [Basically, " ;, !,
2. Apply Short Words from the Extras > Short Words menu
3. Select one resulting space and copy it.
4. Open the Search and Replace dialog and Paste that space in both
Text field. In the Replace field change the font size to 1/4 of your
body text. Then hit "Search" and "Replace All"
5. Go back to Preferences > Short Words and replace the punctuation
signs that need thin spaces by the ones that need regular
non-breaking space. [Basically, " :,? , ?,"]. Save.
6. Apply Short Words (step #2) and your done.
The draw back is your thin spaces will not be fixed-width spaces.
Only, they will be much smaller. They will always be closer to the
preceding word, which is what we want to achieve. But the width of
the thin space may vary from line to line. Don't forget it's a
regular non-breaking space that is only set to a smaller typesize. It
will look better and give the feel of 2 different spaces.
*It looks like a long ride but it really only takes a few minutes and
it does make a huge difference in typographic quality.
More information about the scribus