[Scribus] Painfully slow scrolling - v1.3.2 and earlier versions

Peter Linnell mrdocs
Sat Feb 18 22:08:46 CET 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 01:18, Will Kemp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've had this problem for a while now - nearly a year, i think. I can't
> remember which version of Scribus it started with, but i think it was
> when i changed to 1.2.
>
> I'm running Scribus on an IBM Thinkpad A20m (600MHz P3) with 512MB RAM,
> under Fedora Core 3 with a 2.6.12.2 kernel. The window manager etc is
> gnome.
>
> My problem is that scrolling (up and down or side to side) in a Scribus
> window is very very slow - so slow as to make it very difficult to use,
> almost impossible. I can struggle on and use it ok for small layout
> jobs, but anything more than about a page is just so time consuming
> it's hardly worth bothering.
>
> If anyone's got any suggestions about how i could improve this
> performance, i'd be grateful.
>
> Thanks
> Will

Hi,

Fedora 4  with GCC 4 is probably a 10 - 25% improvement in speed over Fedora 3
on the same exact hardware.

I would also compile Scribus  with CXXFLAGS set to -march=pentium3. You do
this by running:

 export CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3"

then ./configure before compiling Scribus.

That said, we recommend PIII and at least a 750Mhz processor or AMD equivalent
as minimums.

HTH,
Peter