[Scribus] Positive review of Scribus 1.3.2 in Germany' biggestnewspaper

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Feb 16 20:00:02 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2006 19:48 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
> Christoph Sch?fer a ?crit :
> >>
> >>second biggest only (I won't discuss about importance...)
> >>and I don't think it's in the print issue.
> >
> > The biggest is actually printed paper with big letters, not really a
> > newspaper ;)
>
> We also have a "biggest" newspaper here. It's only because they have so
> many pages. They really don't care about how many trees they use to
> produce this, day after day, year after year... I prefer to read my
> "little" newspaper, less pages, less publicity, heavier content!
>
> * * *
>
> I read a *google-translation* ... (you kind of have to guess throughtout
> the text what they are saying!). Seems interesting anyways. If I
> understood correctly, they are asking why isn't there a .doc filter to
> import into Scribus. Considering Scribus is Open Source, I'd bet the
> answer is "use Open Source software like OpenOffice.org to open up your
> .doc documents and you'll be very happy!". Another answer is "We're
> sorry, we only have so much time to code and support for .doc is not on
> our radar screen yet." Anyways, I don't know how many people read this
> paper... But the question is asked.
>
> If I was asked this question, my answer would be: "Scribus is Open
> Source. When .doc will be open source..."

I think this has been answered many times here: developers constraints. But
there's an RTF filter mentioned in the Roadmap. What I really find ridiculous
is the author complaining complaining about an Excel filter. Almost as
ridiculous as that is his criticism of the "ugly" GUI, which he describes as
something typical for Linux/OSS apps. It seems he has never seen Quark or
PageMaker ...

But the rest is very positive!

> Louis
>
> >>ciao, tom