[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Feb 15 20:11:13 CET 2006

Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 15:16 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
> >Louis Desjardins wrote:
> >>  Edit > Preferences
> >>  File > Document setup
> >>  is confusing
> >>
> >>  Would
> >>  Edit > Application preferences
> >>  Edit > Document preferences
> >>  be an option?
> >>
> >>  *Including* the 2 sentences you proposed a few post ago so it is very
> >>  clear.
> >>
> >>  Some other thoughts, folks?
> >
> >Already gave mine but will repeat cause i think it's a good idea. I'd
> > really prefer an option to apply changes made in either of those prefs to
> > be applied to the other one too by just checking a check box. Kinda
> > annoying to read that this change only applies to the current document
> > cause that makes me to go to the general prefs and make the exactly same
> > change there if I want it to be applied generally. These checkboxes in
> > place of the static warnings would drive the exactly same purpose but
> > would also add some extra value by reducing work needed to be done by a
> > user when (s)he wants to apply a change to both (current document and
> > general settings, i.e. all new documents).
>
> It's always good to repeat a good idea!
> I would like to see it for real - so to give it a road test! Only
> testing will give us the answer.
> But your argument is convincing.
> Agree

I really don't think this is a good idea. Craig has already pointed out  why:
This would result in really bloated dialogs. If you don't believe me, try to
create such a dialog in Qt designer ;)

I think the way it is since yesterday (File > Document setup, File >
Preferences) is fine, but the menu entries need better names. What you
suggested, "Application preferences, Document preferences", is the best way
to go, plus, this has to be made abundantly clear in the docs. Thus, the
chapter "Settings and Preferences Panels" may need some enhancements.

> Louis

Cheers,

Christoph