[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Feb 14 23:01:41 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 17:16, you wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2006 16:24 schrieb Craig Bradney:

> > > I share your views on that. IMO every user gets confused by the
> > > Preferences/Document Info mess.
> >
> > Do they also get confused by the same situation in ID?
> >
> > They also used to get confused by the 1.2.x method of most of the items
> > in the preferences window being for the doc or for the app... so.. whats
> > best? What do we need to do to make it clearer?
>
> I can think of two ways to make the situation clearer. The first would be
> to offer one dialog in which the user has the choice between applying the
> settings in general or only to the current document. The second is to place
> the document setup under preferences and give both items similar names, e.
> g. "scribus general setup" and "document setup". It would also be more
> consistent with many other apps to have both of them under "extras".

Sounds more confusing to me.. especially since people will want to apply some
to one and some to both and set some defaults and unapply changes..

I can understand that having them in the different menus is confusing.. as
I've suggested before I can move the edit->prefs to be next to file->doc
setup in about 2 mins.. so.. shall I? At least then people see theres a
difference? The argument for having prefs under the edit menu is no longer
valid anyway (ie, to be what the mac did, but that is not valid on osx
anymore in my last skim over the apple hig)

> As for Louis' other point: moving these items to the print dialog sounds
> reasonable.
>
> I also found another issue: "baseline settings" are in "guides", while I
> was expecting them in the "typography" dialog. I don't know what others
> think about it, though.

Yes.. some needs cleaning, remember we have a lot more tabs than we did
before.

Craig