[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Tue Feb 14 04:07:10 CET 2006

Hi Team,

I'd like to share a tiny bit of my intense Scribus week-end. I laid
out a 136-page book. Intense text work! Result... hmmmmm... not up to
my expectations... well... not exactly! This has more to do with
hyphenation... but here are some other thoughts...

The paths to Prefs are dazzling. It used to be in Settings > Prefs
(1.2.x). Now, it's in Edit > Prefs. I'm allright with this. But why
changes in Prefs don't reflects in the current document? It confuses
me. I didn't figure out that there was a Prefs dialog in the File
menu under File > Document Setup... I filed a bug for this. It turned
out that there is no bug because of this File > Document Setup
thing... But I still find this confusing.

It confuses me as a user, and also as a translator. There are 2
menus, with different names, for basically the same thing.

I will do my homework and get back with something substantial on
Hyphenation, Tracking, Widow/Orphan control, Handling of Text. I
struggled! The book is not what I can call a difficult task. Only
text. Although a little long... But nothing to choke a DTP app.
Nothing. Really!

Last but not least amazing :

Only in Edit > Prefs > Miscellaneous can we find this little check
box about Print > Inside margins... Gee! Did I try to find out this
one... OK. Honest. This is *not* Miscellaneous! This is print
*basic*... To me, either this check box doesn't exist, or if it does,
then it's in an obvious place where you *can't* miss it!

Sharing. Just sharing.

:)

Louis