[Scribus] Status of Indic language support in Scribus (Gora Mohanty)

Gora Mohanty gora_mohanty
Thu Feb 2 06:47:39 CET 2006

--- "Sukhi Venkat (TnQ)" <skvenkat at tnq.co.in> wrote:

> Gora Mohanty wrote: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:01:05 +0000 (GMT)
> > Is the specification for AAT open? Is there
> > documentation available? From what little I have learnt from other
> > people,
> > AAT is proprietary, and poorly documented.
> >
> My source of knowledge:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Advanced_Typography

Yeah, but that is hardly enough to implement an AAT font, let alone a
rendering engine. Nor do I see from that article a reason why this is
advantageous to OpenType, something which Apple promised to support but
apparently does not adequately do so. I was approached by someone who
wanted to implement Indic fonts in AAT, and he uses a trial-and-error
method based on copying rules from existing fonts, which is a rather
laborious and error-prone method for Indic fonts. Currently, I see no
reason for the open-source world to try to support AAT.

[...]
> The bug is actually due to a erroneous relay-effect of two
> consecutive juxta-positioning that is specific to an old glyph of
vowel
> (ai, Unicode-BC8) which has a nice raised elephant trunk like shape
(that
> occurs in the word "Aanai" -meaning elephant), but this version of
> the glyph which occurs with some consonants has however been phased
out
> in modern Tamil by rationalists (few decades back), a fact which
could
> be useful to fix the bug.

Well, if the particular representation is still in use, the bug could
be
fixed. Could you submit a more complete report, including the set of
Unicode input characters, a picture of the expected output, and, if
possible, a picture of what you actually get from Pango, ICU, or QT?

[...]
> Happy to hear that Oriya is working! There are some triple-deckers in
> Telugu and Kannada of Grantha origin that needs to be checked-out for
> all combinations. On the whole I don't expect any major bugs in the
> rendering of southern Indic scripts.

It would be great if you could list these by the Unicode input
sequence,
and maybe someone can take a look at them. It would be even better if
you
would be willing to help out in putting together a comprehensive set of
conjuncts, and a complete glyph repository for Tamil.

Regards,
Gora