[Scribus] Minimum practical memory size

Calum Polwart scribus
Wed Feb 1 20:38:04 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 20:37 +0100, Craig Bradney wrote:

> On Monday 30 January 2006 19:24, Calum Polwart wrote:
> > I'm running Fedora Core 3 with Scribus 1.3.2cvs, with a 2200MHz AMD XP
> > Processor and 256Mb Ram and would say that it can also grind to a halt
> > quite frequently (Final PDF size is about 50Mb to give idea of size).
> > It works - its just slow.. Sometimes painfully slow.  My swap space is
> > fairly small (1-2Gb) - "she" keeps filling the temp space with music and
> > video downloads!.

Various people have commented that /tmp isn't used - but what I didn't
explain is I have a single partition so filling /tmp also fills /home,
but at least unlike on Windows it doesn't fill the swap space too...

There is actually an old windows partition on the drive which could be
deleted now (not been into it for over a year!) - if I allocated it to
swap space would it speed me up?  Or would I be better allocating it
to /tmp /home etc...?

> > I have 1Gb of RAM on the way so that will increase my RAM 5 times, and I
> > will feedback the effect of that and Increasing my swap space after the
> > weekend...

I have just stuck an extra 1Gb in so now at 1.25Gb. Cost me ?60
(probably about $100US?) and now things are definately quicker.  I
haven't timed anything (I figured if it needed me to time the
differences then they weren't that noticable.)  The biggest difference
is that ALL menus in Gnome appear instantly whereas sometimes I would be
waiting for them.  So the same happens in scribus, right click -
straight away - Properties straight away.

So if the original poster can afford ?60 for some extra memory its
probably well worth it...

My default test was going to be changing page in scribus.  Curiously
that still doesn't like to show me the page menu very quickly but when
it moves age it moves far quicker.

> And the thing about libart or cairo?

was this the memory leak?  I'm on proper CVS C-C-T-F-A.

I guess putting the new windows release on the old XP laptop that has
128Mb Ram and about 900Mb free disk space is going to be a bad plan?

Calum