[Scribus] More fun with graphics

avox avox
Sat Dec 30 23:06:30 CET 2006

Frank Cox wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:04:10 +1100
> rcook at pcug.org.au (Owen Cook) wrote:
>
>> I get the impression that there is something wrong with the jpg
>
> I agree.  But I suspect that it's more likely something unsupported about
> it,
> rather than the jpg being "bad" as such.  It's one of several scans of
> payroll
> data from an accounting firm running (I assume) Windows machines that were
> emailed to my client as part of their regular monthly accounting.  And
> they
> appear to be all the same insofar as printing (or the lack thereof) goes.
>
>> What happens when you reduce the size of the file by say saving at a
>> quality of 20% ? (that's
>> about half size)
>
> Same thing.  I've tried shrinking it down to a postage stamp with Gimp.
> Import
> it into Scribus and it starts flashing the busy light on my printer and
> that's
> it until I power cycle the printer again.

Since the image displays on screen and prints when using the Acroread
printer driver, I suspect your printer just can't print it unless it's
preprocessed. The size of the uncompressed image is at least 26 MB, so
that's my first suspicion on what goes wrong. Images of that size can only
be printed banded, and Acroread and Ghostscript+CUPS would take of this.
Depending on the internal organization of the image file, also the printer's
firmware could handle it (maybe the image has to be in progressive mode?),
but obviousy your printer doesnt. If it's a PostScript printer, it depends
on how the image is encoded in PostScript.

/Andreas