[Scribus] Transparent images

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer
Sat Dec 30 17:02:24 CET 2006

Hi Branko,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:54:38 +0100
Von: Branko Vukelic <bg.branko at gmail.com>
An: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Betreff: [Scribus]  Transparent images

> Hi,
>
> After a couple of trials and errors, I decided to post to the list.
>
> 1.
>
> I need to import a b/w nameplate with transparent background for my
> tutorial
> on newspaper design. Scribus 1.3.3.6 seems unable to handle 1-bit TIFF
> files
> with transparency. What are my other options?
>
> I was considering 1-bit PNG files. Are those okay?

Should be. I didn't have any trouble using them. You can also use PSD for transparency.

> 2.
>
> The RGB images imported into Scribus will be auto-converted into CMYK if I
> select "Print" under Color when Exporting PDFs, right? Does that mean I
> don't
> need to convert RGB images into CMYK separated TIFFs using GIMP's Separate
> plugin?

That's what it means :)

What are the differences? I'm asking because I sometimes need
> transparent background, so switching to PNG-based workflow seemed like a
> good
> option.

As said above, you may also consider using PSD files instead of PNG. GIMP can save to PSD.

> 3.
>
> Finally, I wanted to create a path for an image in the GIMP, but I have no
> clue about how to import the path into Scribus and use it as a contour for
> wrapping text around it. I don't mind drawing the paths manually (heck, I
> even have to do it in InDesign most of the time because of poor PSD
> transparency support), but if there is a way of importing GIMP paths, that
> would be excellent.

GIMP saves paths as SVG files. You can export those into Scribus. Please read the GIMP manual to see how it works.

> TIA
>
> Best regards,
>
> Branko

HTH,