[Scribus] Some questions:

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Dec 30 04:08:38 CET 2006

2006/12/29, Plinnell <mrdocs at scribus.info>:

> On Friday 29 December 2006 22:12, John R. Culleton wrote:

[snip]

> 4. Scribus seems to treat each carriage return as the start of a
> > new paragraph. How do I merge these lines together into a single
> > paragraph in story editor?

In effect, each carriage return is a paragraph. This is expected. If you
mean that each line of a given paragraph has a paragraph break, this must
depend on the file of origin, how it was set. You can ask the author to let
the computer take care automatically of the line breaks. A bit of discussion
to make sure everybody in the workflow understands the work of the person
downstream.

To get rid of those annoying returns you'll have to edit the file of origin
first and then import it into Scribus.

Another way of doing that would be to perform a "search & replace"
throughout the Scribus document. If you are lucky, chances are the author
has put 2 carriage returns to define a paragraph and one only for each line.
Then, you could perform a "search & replace" using the following technique:

1. Look for 2 carriage returns (or, if you wish, the "paragraph carriage
returns") and replace them with a sequence of characters that are unlikely
to be found in that text such as "qqq" or "zzz" or anything you can think of
(test before or keep a back-up file of your text). This will prevent step 2
to crunch all your paragraph breaks.

2. Look for 1 carriage return and replace it with a space. This will take
care of every carriage return that was put at the end of each line. No more
of them in that text.

3. Look for the string you put in no. 1 ("qqq" or "zzz" or anything else)
and replace it by a carriage return.

You'll end up with carriage returns only for paragraph. With the help of
Stylesheet Scribus lets you define whether the first line has to be
indented, or if there is to be more space between each paragraph, etc.

> > 5. A new customer sends me files in a Mac-only format with the
> > suffix  .cwk. Will my Linux Scribus import such files?
> What creates .cwk files. Doubtful if Scribus imports directly.

Correct. Scribus cannot import .cwk files.

.cwk files are the proprietary format of Apple's Claris Works or AppleWorks.
AFAIK, this format cannot be read by OpenOffice nor Scribus. The simplest
way to be able to work with those files would be to ask the author to save
them as .rtf or .txt or even .doc so you could import them in OpenOffice and
save them as OO.org files which in turn can be used by Scribus.

HTH

Louis

Peter