[Scribus] My PDF file was printed not right by a factory

Branko Vukelic bg.branko
Mon Dec 25 19:25:47 CET 2006

On 12/24/06, Kite Lau <kitelau at gmail.com> wrote:
> ? 2006-12-24?? 12:24 +0100?Craig Bradney???
> > On Sunday 24 December 2006 11:53, Kite Lau wrote:
> > > I worked out an artwork for a product gift box using Scribus. I sent the
> > > output PDF file to a factory to print it. First time number of copy was
> > > 15,000. Today I saw the final box and was a little disappointed by that
> > > factory. The vector lines,  fonts, expecially small fonts on the box are
> > > not smooth on the edge. Now I suspect that they imported the PDF into
> > > photoshop as bitmaps and then do the printing output. I think I shall
> > > talk to the factory and warn them next time. As far as I know, most of
> > > people here in China make gift box etc. using Coreldraw, so most of them
> > > know coreldraw files but do not know how to handle PDF files correctly.
> >

> > This could be the case, unfortunately, however, what was your sample like? Or
> > did they not provide a sample finished product before producing 15000 copies?
> > That sounds strange to me, if they didn't.
> >
> > Regards
> > Craig
>
> I did not have an exact sample, but my desktop grade B/W HP Laserlet
> 3015 gave  me much much more smooth fonts and lines when I printed the
> same PDF file. My brother in law was in charge of this case, I asked for
> a sample from the factory but he said it is not necessary, so...
> Definitely we should setup new film for next time and require a sample
> before printing. The printed copies could be used for the moment
> although not very good. Luckily the colors of the box are alright.

I had to deal with the same problem here, where I live. So I went to a
professional imagesetter and created the films first. Did the
imposition as per the instructions from the printers, and filmed the
whole job before going to the printer. (Although I wasn't using
Scribus at the time, I doubt the procedure would be any different.)
The output was exceptional.

Best regards,

Branko