[Scribus] Tex/LaTex fonts with Scribus

Terence Chan terence
Thu Dec 14 17:16:22 CET 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 13.12.2006, 19:02 +0000 schrieb Terence Chan:
> > However,
> > it would be useful to be able to use the latex fonts in a text
> > frame to make minor additions in Scribus. The latex package
> > comes with a large collection of fonts, many of which are supported
> > by Scribus, but most of  the standard latex fonts commonly used are
> > tfm fonts
>
> Which fonts you are referring to? I have here TeXLive 2005, and the
> LaTeX standard font Computer Modern as well as its derivative Latin
> Modern and other fonts are available (and installed by default) as
> PostScript fonts (type1, *pfb). Even very interesting but rather seldom
> used fonts like the archaic series by Peter Wilson, originally only
> available in MetaFont, are now available as PostScript fonts. I can use
> for example the Latin Modern PostScript fonts coming with TeXLive 2005
> with Scribus.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Tobias Hilbricht

Not all of the type1 pfb fonts work: e.g. the Computer Modern fonts
in /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm as well as the cs*.pfb
fonts in /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cs have spaces rendered
as a hyphen-like character in a text frame. On the other hand the LM
fonts in /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm work fine. This is to
say nothing of the many other fonts in /usr/share/texmf/fonts, including
the Adobe fonts which are available only in *.tfm format.
In every one of the fonts I've tried, there is no problem with rendering
the actual characters - it's the spaces that often don't work.

The TeX/LaTeX installation on my machine comes from Fedora Core 5.

Terence