[Scribus] Windows 2000 and GDI+

Barry McKenna bmckenna
Thu Dec 7 19:09:58 CET 2006

Hello,

Thanks for Scribus. It is truly a class act, even if you believe that it is
not quite ready for prime time yet.

As a W2k user, I hesitated about installing because there are some comments
in the win2000 ngs about users having major problems with their systems
after installing gdi+.

Well, I finally absolutely needed something like Scribus, so I did a
complete backup and went to MS/GDI+ link you provide and did it.

It's wonderful!

Two things that seem to contradict what your Windows page states and the
first may be related to problems some W2k users have had after GDI+ installs:

1. The file redist.txt which comes in gdiplus_dnld.exe contains this:

For Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows
98, install gdiplus.dll into the private directory of the application not
into the system directory.

2. As for redistributing, I'm not sure that you are restricted from
redistributing GDI+. However, I'm not a lawyer, and my perception of any
subtle snags in the EULA may not be the best, but the redist.txt concludes
with this:

In addition to the rights granted in Section 1 of the Agreement
("Agreement"), with respect to gdiplus.dll for Windows 2000, Windows
Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98, you have the following
non-exclusive, royalty free rights subject to the Distribution Requirements
detailed in Section 1 of the Agreement:

(1) You may distribute gdiplus.dll solely for use with Windows 2000,
Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98.

Once again, thanks for a great tool!

Barry