[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.3 on Ubuntu Dapper, AMD 64, crashes on text import

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Aug 25 23:47:01 CEST 2006

Axel Bojer wrote:
> Gregory Pittman skrev:
>
>> Axel Bojer wrote:
>>
>>> 1. I mark my textframe and ...
>>> 2. Go to ?File - import - get Text? and find my odt-file. Then ...
>>> 3. I get a dialog with the question: Choose a conversion filter
>>>
>>> So far nothing wrong, but, wait! The box is empty! I can not choose a
>>> single fileformat, because no matter if I try to use the dropdown tool,
>>> it still shows nothing. If I just close my eyes and press ?Ok?, hoping
>>> Scribus will know what to do, then the program chrashes with the
>>> following remark to me:
>>>
>>> 4. Scribus is crashing because of signal #11.
>>>
>>> I suppose that something is just wrong with the linking between scribus,
>>> openoffice and the file properties, but I dont know how to correct this :-(
>>>

>> You may need to build your Scribus, considering your hardware.
>> See:
>> http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=1
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Do you mean this repository:?
>
>   # debian.scribus.net - Primary repository
>   deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ hoary main restricted
>   deb-src http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ hoary main restricted
>   # debian.tagancha.org - Backup repository
>   deb http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ hoary main restricted
>   deb-src http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ hoary main restricted
>
> or do you mean to use the tar-ball?
>
> I have tried both :-(
>
> The repository does not contain any packages for amd 64 (could someone
> correct this please? :-)
> thats the reason why i used http://ubuntu.moshen.de. (scribus 1.3.3)

I'm talking about building from source, available as a tar.bz2 file. I
looked around, and I couldn't find pre-compiled 64-bit Scribus for Ubuntu.
> When I tried to build the tarballs myself, I got a lot of dependency
> problems ...
>
>  From BUILDING:
>
> Requirements:
>          Qt >= 3.3 (3.3.3 recommended)
>          Freetype >= 2.1.3 (2.1.9+ recommended)
>          libart >= 2.3.8+ (2.3.17+ recommended)
>
> ... and for the libarts I have som problems: (./configure gives)
>
> configure: error: You need at least libart 2.3.8 . See the BUILDING file.
>
> apt-cache show libart2 -> Version: 1.4.2-30
> (By the way: apt-cache show freetype2 -> 1.4pre.20030402-1.1ubuntu1, but
> the build did not complain about that ... and how to I check my
> qt-version? slocate shows both qt4 and qt3 libraries, I suppose I have
> both then?)

One thing that's not necessarily apparent is that many of the
requirements really want you to have not just the compiled libart, but
also the includes, the various header files. With Fedora Core, these are
typically a separate download, so in addition to libart... you would
also need libart-devel. When you try to configure, your feedback
unfortunately doesn't tell you that. So with qt you also want the header
files from qt, however they're labelled in Ubuntu.

Once you crank through that, you're good to go.
> By the way: I supposed that what I would get from the tarball is the
> same as the package from moshen.de ?

Not sure about that. Current released version from Scribus is 1.3.3.3

Greg