[Scribus] Right to Left languages.

Plinnell mrdocs
Thu Aug 24 22:16:25 CEST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 19:17, Peter Law wrote:
> I am new to Scribus and would like to use Arabic text. I understand
> this is possible using Freetype, but am not sure how to get that
> set up on a Windows XP system. Any help, or a pointer to a help
> file, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> Websites:
> Personal: http://www.plaw.me.uk/
> Church: http://www.westkilburn.org/

Hi,

Rendering Arabic text properly is one of the more difficult tasks
ahead for us. It is something we have looked into and hope to have
before Scribus 1.4.

While there are other applications which render Arabic, doing so with
the same fidelity from screen to print is not trivial. A word
processor by design does not necessarily have to have same level of
precision that a layout application does.

This includes getting the typography and glyph shaping done properly
to the same standard we have now with latin and Cryillic for example.

Freetype is just one part of the puzzle. We need to enhance handling
of advanced Open Type features which are on the drawing board.

While you can in import Arabic text easily, it does not render
properly yet, owing to the complex rules for word order.

This is something highly desired by the team, but there are other
internals which are being worked on now before we can support Arabic
100%

Hope that clarifies where we are.

Peter