[Scribus] Jpeg library trouble

Martin Costabel costabel
Wed Aug 16 16:43:51 CEST 2006

Roberto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I checked out version 134 from cvs but am not able to compile it after
> following all the hints. I'm on Macosx 10.4.7 and I have sucessfully
> built Scribus 134 in the past. I used fink to download all the libraries
> required and actually built Scribus 1.3.3.2 from their repositories. Now
> when I try to build 134cvs I get the following error message after "make":
>
> Making all in .
> /sw/lib/qt3/bin/uic -o aboutpluginsbase.h ./aboutpluginsbase.ui
> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>   Referenced from:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>   Expected in: /sw/lib/libJPEG.dylib
[]
> If this is a serious problem with fink's jpeg library, is there a way to
> disable jpeg support at build? I'd really like to follow Scribus most
> recent development.

Are you setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib or something similar? Don't do
this.

The problem you are seeing is due to a combination of several
unfortunate circumstances, not the least of which is the brainfart of
some Apple engineers that led them to the bright idea to put a file
named libJPEG.dylib into their System ImageIO.framework. The
not-very-principled dynamic loader dyld easily confuses this with
/sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib (there is *no* /sw/lib/libJPEG.dylib!)

In the case of scribus, I haven't seen this confusion unless
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH was set. You don't need this environment variable; use
LDFLAGS, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, --with-qt-libraries=/sw,
--with-extra-libs=/sw, etc.

Another elegant solution of the problem is to do your building in a
case-sensitive file system. You don't need to repartition your disk for
this, just create a 5-10GB Build.dmg and put a HFS+-case-sensitive (not
UFS!) filesystem on it. When you build your scribus there, you won't see
this problem.

--
Martin