[Scribus] EPS in PDF?

Terry Brown terry_n_brown
Mon Aug 7 05:21:16 CEST 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Terry Brown wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought it was possible to embed EPS directly in PDF... but
>> perhaps I'm wrong?
>
> If it is, I'd be DELIGHTED if you could point out any resources that
> document how (with reference to the PDF standard - no "it works in most

Sorry, I guess I was just mislead by the behavior you described
(distilling etc.)

I was using

ESP Ghostscript 815.01 (2005-08-25)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

instead I compiled

GPL Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)
Copyright (C) 2006 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

but it didn't seem to make any difference on the EPS import... but I
think I was too harsh in my initial judgment of the EPS import.  It
looked odd because a gradient filled polygon had disappeared, no
doubt for the :origin out of polygon" reason you describe.  But
apart from that, the EPS -> native Scribus shapes import was
actually impressively good.

Trying to import the SVG still seems unhappy, I notice this time
that it actually presented me with an outline rectangle to place,
which looked like it was the right size, but when I clicked it down
it just opened a window titled "Warning", but with no content, and
is now using 100% CPU (but doesn't seem to be eating RAM), anyway,
it hasn't returned after several minutes so I suppose that's a
crash.

Anyway, thanks for the response, now that I see how close the EPS
import was to working properly I'm happy... oh, now I notice it also
left out a custom pattern filled thing, but gs doesn't seem to see
it either, so either gs or Inkscape left that out.  gs does get the
gradient right though.

Cheers -Terry