[Scribus] Suggestion for Frames

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sat Aug 5 21:24:06 CEST 2006

>Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>  Imagine that you script this once your frame styles are defined...
>>  And of course all those frames could be edited one by one or via the
>>  frame style...
>>
>Perhaps there could be a way of borrowing the way that other features
>work in Scribus already. For example, one might have a Frame style
>palette (like Page palette) to use the mouse to drag a style into a frame.
>Or modifying/expanding on Master pages, where one might Shift-click-drag
>a frame style from the Master page to a current page. Thus a Master page
>could be used in its entirety or in fragments.
>
>We've also talked in the past about a copy function for frames, in which
>certain (definable?) parameters of a frame can be copied, but not the
>content.

Right. I remember this thread. It's like having a Frame Style.

>I find a certain overload factor applies to keyboard shortcuts -- you
>can only remember so many, and the ones you use with some regularity.

True.

But there are two kinds of keyboard shortcuts in heavy production.

A. The ones that allow direct and quick access to various key
features, all depending on everyone's needs and habits. These are
what we could call "Application Shortcuts". If I understand well, I
think you are mostly refering to these.

B. The others are document oriented or "Document Shortcuts". They are
in fact the shortcuts for Paragraph Styles, usually (at least in
Quark) a key from the keypad, so 1-stroke only (no combination is
faster). In Scribus we also have Line Style and I am hoping to see
more Styles in the further steps of development because this is one
key to better productivity and keeping the heavy repetitive work at
computer level.

The Document Shortcuts are aimed at a specific job for which heavy
formatting is required. Setting the keyboard shortcuts for that task
and remembering those for a short period of time is part of the job.

In any case, I think the number of available shortcuts is up to the user.

And we still haven't heard many people on that subject!

Cheers!

Louis