[Scribus] Suggestion for Frames

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Fri Aug 4 17:36:14 CEST 2006

>On Thursday 03 August 2006 4:58, avox wrote:
>>  Thomas Zastrow-4 wrote:
>>  > I often have to produce documents where a lot of frames (text or -
>>  > mostly - images) have the same size. So, I can put one frame on the doc,
>>  > resize it to the correct size and then copy & paste it.
>>
>>  Or check out the Scrapbook.
>
>You'd still have to manually set the x and y postition for the frame though.

The idea is interesting.

The actual way in many if not all DTP apps afaik is to use the mouse
to draw a frame (text or image). Only then is it possible to give
that frame all sorts of parameters through a dialog box or a palette.

Typical everyday move in Quark:
1. Select the text box tool.
2. Draw a frame
3. Hit Command-M (Modify menu) and enter the precise values for that
text box OR
3a. Go to the floating palette and enter the precise values...

This is similar in Scribus and in other DTP apps.

This is how it's been going for years.

I remember from the early days of Quark, when the machines where
really slow, that even showing up the Modify dialog on an existing
text box was a pain. Now that computers are fast and respond quickly,
it seems the issue went away. But is this so true? I also find we
have to make lots of mouse clicks to do repetitive tasks, when the
computer could do it.

What I think would be great is to be able to set the default
text/image frame (and edit that default at will) and connect it to a
keyboard shortcut. Better still, but I think it is already on the
to-do list, to have Frame Styles and give them keyboard shortcuts...
This would be super fast and super efficient, imo. How it would work
is simple: when nothing is selected on the page, just hit that
keyboard shortcut and the corresponding frame appears, all set.

Imagine that you script this once your frame styles are defined...
And of course all those frames could be edited one by one or via the
frame style...

Among all the options for Frames in the dialog, we could add this one
for positionning : either user-defined or at mouse position.

>I agree that the way to go is to wait on MP's getting some more refinement,
>though the double-clicking idea is intriguing.
>
>I've also often wondered if there might be a good way to get "automatic text
>frames" to automatically give room for headers and footers.  Dunno, just a
>thought...

Exactly. Set a Frame Style for headers or anything you can think of
and simple hit that key, done.

Curious to see what others think!

Louis