[Scribus] Scribus / XaraLX files

frank gaude' tanzen
Wed Aug 2 00:00:37 CEST 2006

stu seven wrote:
> +   A long time user of Inkscape, I recently started looking at
>  XaraLX - recently GPLd, and now in it's 7th release... it is becoming
>  an excellent drawing choice.
>
>      Here's my first question... somewhere I've read that Scribus planned
>  to include  *.xar  file import... I have, I believe, the very newest release
>  of Scribus (1.3.1 NG), but have not seen *.xar import....  is this still a
>  planned feature ?
>
>     XaraLX itself plans to include SVG and PDF export (not yet
>  implemented), so, one way or the other there should soon be a way
>  to use  xar  files in Scribus documents directly.
>      Question two - In the meantime, has anybody seen anything which
> can convert  xar  to something Scribus can import ?
>
>  thanks

Xara LX will soon, in my opinion, be the drawing program of choice, period.

I use Scribus and the developers did say they plan on being able to
import .xra files one of these days. In the meantime, we can export an
.xra file into a big .png or .jpg and import it into Scribus. Depending
on what you plan on doing with the Scribus file, web or print, the
bitmap can be sized to not show any artifacts, pixels. In Scribus just
resize to what you need. I export 1600 by 1200 pixel Xara files as .jpg
files all the time. Works like a charm. You can find some of my work, if
you will, at site:

   http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname

I use JPG more than PNG because for the web I know I can compress a file
down without it being noticed.

Hang in there, for Xara LX is the killer app for Linux and FOSS.

frank