[Scribus] [OT] laser printer

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Sun Apr 30 06:52:10 CEST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:28:38 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> >Simply stated, the more RAM you have in the printer, the more detailed the page
> >can be that you print.  A laser printer holds the entire page in its memory at
> >one time
> >
> Are you sure?

Can't say that I'm absolutely positive about this, but it's one of those "what
I've been told in the past" things that I have never really thought much about
or questioned.

Here is a link that discusses this issue:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc/browse_frm/thread/efb9ae33a80ba5ae/7076086999b06239

> I've had laser printers with a whopping 4MB of RAM that can print a
> 600dpi A4 page.

It's always been my guess (and a guess is all that it is) that the final
rendered image is actually drawn on the drum using a uncomplicated "dot here,
skip two, another dot here" algorithm that probably uses a simple RLE
compression method.

But again, I don't really know enough about it to have an authorative opinion.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net