[Scribus] Restricted documentation license (was: a different kind of Scribus reference)

PLinnell mrdocs
Fri Apr 21 10:50:34 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 10:19, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > The licence allows free distribution, including translation, but
> > has some restrictions regarding reformed German spelling,
> > notifications to the author (i. e. me) if any major changes are
> > applied, and another restriction with respect to commercial
> > printing.
>
> Be aware, that such restricted licenses are the reason, why
> scribus-doc is deleted from the package in the official Debian
> distribution.
>
> See:
>
> $ apt-cache show scribus-doc
> Package: scribus-doc
> Section: non-free/doc
>           ^^^^^^^^
>
> This means, that scribus-doc is not installable without changing
> the default repositories, and also is not delivered on official
> Debian-CDs.
>
> Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Hi,

Yes and this *was* a very carefully thought out decision. In
Christian's case, I find this type of license entirely reasonable.

While it causes a bit more work for Alex, who does a fabulous job of
maintaining Scribus, I am not about to change the license for the
Scribus.

In some respects, the license I have chosen is 'freer' than the some
of the FSF Document licenses.  Despite our arguments, Debian legal
thought otherwise.

That decision *has* been made and not subject to revision, nor do I
wish to debate the finer points of document licensing.

I just want to make clear that I was very aware of how this affected
packaging and the like.

Cheers,
Peter