[Scribus] Summer Of Code?

Steve Jacobs steve
Wed Apr 19 19:52:09 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:23:28 -0400
Louis Desjardins <louisdesjardins at videotron.ca> wrote:

> >Am Dienstag, 18. April 2006 23:35 schrieb Craig Bradney:
> >>  On Tuesday 18 April 2006 23:28, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> >>  > > Got a project that can fit into the massive upheaval that the codebase
> >>  > > is going through right now?
> >>  >
> >>  > I can think of some interesting projects that would move Scribus forward
> >>  > and save developer time.
> >>  >
> >>  > - Build a bridge to ImageMagick, so this can be used as "Swiss knife" for
> >>  > graphics import (reads 95 formats:
> >>  > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php)
> >>
> >>  Possible..
> >
> >Would be great, IMHO. The list is quite impressive (RAW formats, PICT, CGM,
> >and ... XCF (GIMP).
> >

> >>  > - In the alternative, build a bridge to OpenOffice.org for text,
> >>  > spreadsheet, presentation, and vector import.
> >>
> >>  Riku won SoC Finland for rewriting and enhancing all importers.
> >>
> >>  > - There has been talk about a stand alone story editor.
> >>
> >>  Needs new file format.
> >>
> >>  > - LaTeX support (http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=128)
> >>
> >>  Interesting, Andreas has ideas here. Needs our discussed at LGM frames
> >>  changes for one method.. others not.
> >>
> >>  > - Rewrite and enhance the table features
> >>
> >>  Possible, tho so much is changing.. but a PoC could be done
> >>
> >>  > - Footnotes and marginal notes (seems to be postponed and no longer
> >>  > planned for 1.4)
> >>
> >>  All depends on text...
> >>
> >>  > - Spreading and choking
> >>
> >>  ?
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreading_and_choking
> >
> >Has nothing to do with text, but is important for professional printing.
>
> Yes. But please also note that this field is invaded by the pre-press
> guys and I know nobody in that area that will let the designers do
> trapping on their own. So, agree it could be done. But it'd be low on
> my todo list... Don't forget it's usually done at RIPping time, often
> in RIP trapping, most of the time depends on so many variables not
> known by lots of designers, etc. The day we are going to talk about
> trapping, we'd have to talk about ripping. And that's another big
> chunk...
>
> Louis

On the other hand, I live rural Colorado and work with a bunch of
county print shops, about 125 miles from the nearest RIP. Under these
circumstances, the designer *is* the prepress guy. Trapping support,
however rudimentary, would be welcome. Even more welcome would be an
"Overprint Black" checkbox in the print dialog for separations.

Regards,

Steve

--
Steve Jacobs