[Scribus] Summer Of Code?

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Apr 19 05:23:28 CEST 2006

>Am Dienstag, 18. April 2006 23:35 schrieb Craig Bradney:
>>  On Tuesday 18 April 2006 23:28, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>>  > > Got a project that can fit into the massive upheaval that the codebase
>>  > > is going through right now?
>>  >
>>  > I can think of some interesting projects that would move Scribus forward
>>  > and save developer time.
>>  >
>>  > - Build a bridge to ImageMagick, so this can be used as "Swiss knife" for
>>  > graphics import (reads 95 formats:
>>  > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php)
>>
>>  Possible..
>
>Would be great, IMHO. The list is quite impressive (RAW formats, PICT, CGM,
>and ... XCF (GIMP).
>

>>  > - In the alternative, build a bridge to OpenOffice.org for text,
>>  > spreadsheet, presentation, and vector import.
>>
>>  Riku won SoC Finland for rewriting and enhancing all importers.
>>
>>  > - There has been talk about a stand alone story editor.
>>
>>  Needs new file format.
>>
>>  > - LaTeX support (http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=128)
>>
>>  Interesting, Andreas has ideas here. Needs our discussed at LGM frames
>>  changes for one method.. others not.
>>
>>  > - Rewrite and enhance the table features
>>
>>  Possible, tho so much is changing.. but a PoC could be done
>>
>>  > - Footnotes and marginal notes (seems to be postponed and no longer
>>  > planned for 1.4)
>>
>>  All depends on text...
>>
>>  > - Spreading and choking
>>
>>  ?
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreading_and_choking
>
>Has nothing to do with text, but is important for professional printing.

Yes. But please also note that this field is invaded by the pre-press
guys and I know nobody in that area that will let the designers do
trapping on their own. So, agree it could be done. But it'd be low on
my todo list... Don't forget it's usually done at RIPping time, often
in RIP trapping, most of the time depends on so many variables not
known by lots of designers, etc. The day we are going to talk about
trapping, we'd have to talk about ripping. And that's another big
chunk...

Louis