[Scribus] image resolution problem

Joel Mawhorter joel-lists-rw
Sat Apr 15 21:43:33 CEST 2006

Thanks for the emails so far. Unfortunately none of them has solved my problem.

I'll clarify a couple of things:

1. My problem has nothing to do with using PNG. The problem happens if I import the same file as a TIFF. Also the same problem occurs if I output to PDF (at 300 DPI).

2. I know how to tell the difference between a 300 DPI graphic and a 72 DPI graphic and I understand the difference in resolution of my monitor from other output devices.

The problem is that when I import a 300 DPI image (say for arguments sake 300 pixels x 300 pixels), it displays the correct size for 300 DPI (i.e. 1 inch x 1 inch) but it is downsampled to 72 DPI so that any output I do includes an image at 72 DPI. Certainly I'm not the only person having this problem! I have the latest stable version of Scribus on gentoo linux.

This is all I have to do to reproduce this problem every time:
1. Create a new document with default settings.
2. Create a new picture frame.
3. Right click on the frame and choose "Get Picture"
4. Select the TIFF file containing my 300 DPI picture.
5. Then output to whatever I want (PNG, PDF) and the picture is downsampled to 72 DPI.

Am I missing something basic or is this a bug in Scribus?

Joel