[Scribus] image resolution problem

frank gaude' tanzen
Sat Apr 15 18:35:32 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Saturday 15 April 2006 17:19, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> Joel Mawhorter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble using high resolution images with scribus and I can't
>>> figure out what I need to do to get it to work. I create a new document
>>> then insert a large 300 DPI PNG into the document without changing any
>>> settings. When I right click on the image, and look at the "Info" option,
>>> it reports the DPI as 300 and the size of the image on my page is correct
>>> for that resolution. However, when I zoom in on the image, it is
>>> pixelated.
>>>
>> There is a limit to resolution display in Scribus which does not reflect
>> the actual resolution if printed or made into a PDF.
>>

>>>  Also, when I output the whole page to a 300 DPI PNG the picture is
>>> output at ~72 DPI.
>>>
>> PNGs are not a good choice for high resolution results.
>>

> Since when? I use them all the time at 300dpi and get wonderful results.

PNG is lossless compression so the image doesn't loose any detail from
the original. But, you still have to have enough pixels to handle big
images, e.g., if you have a 300 dpi, 300 pixel by 300 pixel image it
will show okay at one inch by one inch printed out. On the screen with
it will look okay at about five by five inches, screens being 72 or 96
dpi devices.

Frank