[Scribus] 1.3.3.1 GUI language problems

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sat Apr 15 15:10:47 CEST 2006

> [...]
>>  >>  > >Hello
>>  >>  > >I just installed 1.3.3.1 on a Japanese Win XP Pro.
>>  >>  > >
>>  >>  > >During installation, I chose English as preferred language.
>>  >>  > >
>>  >>  > >After installation the GUI was in Japanese. Under preferences, I
>>  >>  > > chose again English as GUI language - but Scribus didn't care about
>>  >>  > > it. Returning to the settings and again, the field was empty.
>>  >>  > >Again choosing English and OK and a restart - and welcome Japanese.
>>  >>  > >
>>  >>  > >Bug or did I do something wrong ?
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Hi Michael,
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > I will only guess the answer is this is a bug produced by the "Great
>>  >>  > Breakage Part II" ... I've encountered the same in French. The way to
>>  >>  > get out of this was to simply select another language in the list (I
>>  >>  > picked Bulgarian... totally arbitrarily) and I went back to French
>>  >>  > and it was OK.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > So hopefully a good soul is listening on this list and will pick-up
>>  >>  > the bug... and hopefully too, you can get away with a cheap solution
>>  >>  > to your problem.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Nothing to do with that at all..
>>  >>
>>  >>  what happens when you type
>>  >>
>>  >>  scribus -l fr
>>  >>
>>  >>  on the command line?
>>
>>  This only brings up 1.2 and works fine.
>>  I cannot get 1.3.4 from the command line
>>
>>  >>  works here for me.
>>  >
>>  >As does selecting in preferences.
>>
>>  Just finished compiling 1.3.4 cvs April 10 (I wonder how come my
>>  directory shows April 15 but the cvs shows April 10 ...) The same
>>  thing occurs. Actually, it occurs only with "English". As soon as I
>>  select another language like "English (British)" or anything else,
>>  the program behaves normally.
>>
>>  Wierd bug because it is not very consistent. I retried quite a few
>>  times going from one language to another and everything seems ok now.
>>  Can't reproduce what happens when launching the program. BTW, as an
>>  additionnal info, when Scribus starts and you go to Prefs, the
>>  language field is blank (but in my case, the program picks up French
>>  at first and the GUI is in French by default). Once you select
>>  "English", the field remains blank when you get back to the Prefs
>>  dialog (and there is no change in the GUI language as well). Then,
>>  you pick another language, including "English (British)" and
>>  everything is back to normal.
>
>English is the same as blank, US English.
>Running without a command line preference or one in preferences will give you
>the language based on the locale setup on your machine.

Yes, I understand that. But the bug is that if you're going to go
from French to English (on a locale French machine), you need to go
through another language to make that happen. Otherwise, the program
stays on the settings based on the locale set up. This is what
Michael describes and this is what I get as well. Maybe this bug
don't show up depending on the locale settings. Anyway, this is new.
It was working fine before.

>Running from command line, you will need to specify the path to your 1.3.x
>installation.

Thanks! Just don't know the command to specify that path!

Louis