[Scribus] Debian/Ubuntu scribus-cvs --> scribus-ng - The king is dead, long live the king.

malex at tagancha.org malex
Thu Apr 13 19:01:15 CEST 2006

* Le Tigre <scribus at le-tigre.net> [2006-04-13 09:58:56 +0000]:

> Thank you Malex, it works fine.
> I'm afraid I did'nt really understand about the "dummy" version: do you
> mean you won't make some repositories for 1.3.4cvs?
> That could be great if we could have in parallel, the 1.3.3.1 and the
> 1.3.4cvs in order to test it.
> I know I can make the job by myself, but I know I won't.
> I understand it's many work for you, so maybe you could do it once a
> month or something like that.
>
> Thanks for all
>
> Raphael

Raphael,

A "dummy" package is a totally empty package that has only one function to pull
the correct package in as a dependency. It's usually used to ease such
transitions like the scribus-cvs --> scribus-ng. I'm not going to use it since
I am in the process of preparing scribus-ng for upload into Debian and there
never was a scribus-cvs package in the Debian archive before.

As for your second question - I am going to follow the same pattern I used
with scribus-cvs. As soon as we get over the "big breakage" in the 1.3.4cvs
I'll prepare and upload a new scribus-ng package made from current sources. It
will have a name-version like "scribus-ng-1.3.3.1.dfsg+20060423", for example
if the day I build it will happen to be 2006-04-23. I'd like to re-iterate the
following point Craig and others raised on the list before. If you are using
Scribus 1.3.x branch in production then PLEASE keep a backup of that
particular .deb somewhere. You can copy it from /var/cache/apt/archives/ to a
safe location. Then, if the new package version doesn't work for your needs
you can always go to the directory where you have the older package and run
the following as root or through sudo (# is the root shell prompt):

#dpkg --force-depends -i old_package.deb (This will install the old package
overriding the version mismatch).
#aptitude hold scribus-ng (This will put scribus-ng on hold barring it from
automated upgrades, so you will have to explicitly run "#aptitude install
scribus-ng" the next time you feel like trying a newer version).

Regards,

Alex.