[Scribus] Debian/Ubuntu scribus-cvs --> scribus-ng - The king is dead, long live the king.

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Thu Apr 13 02:12:14 CEST 2006

This message is for the people running Debian/Ubuntu scribus-cvs package
(1.3.x branch) from our repositories.

As they say "le roi est mort, vive le roi!" or "the king is dead, long live
the king".

I've just uploaded a new package scribus-ng (ng = New Generation) to our
repositories. It supersedes the venerable experimental scribus-cvs package.
Please install scribus-ng if you'd like to use Scribus 1.3.3.1. From now on
scribus-cvs is deprecated. Note that you have to install scribus-ng-doc if
you'd like to have the documentation. I moved the documentation out into a
separate package due to its non DFSG-free nature. As a result I am now able to
and will introduce scribus-ng and scribus-ng-doc into the official Debian
archive (into the main and non-free categories respectively).

scribus-ng is a fully Debian Policy compliant package. It means no more use of
/usr/local, but the scribus-ng package will continue to co-exist with the
scribus (1.2.x branch) package. The binary to run for 1.3.x version is
"scribus-ng", of course.

If you still have questions please email me directly. Docs at
http://debian.scribus.net have been updated to reflect this change.

I am not planning to make a transitional "dummy" scribus-cvs package to
automate the transition at the moment. Let's see how many are paying
attention when running experimental/developmental versions.

Regards,

Your Scribus Debian package maintainer,

Alex