[Scribus] Scribus on Windows XP

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed Apr 12 11:07:19 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 07:09, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christopher Anthony wrote:
> > I also would like for somebody to show me how a Windows port has
> > helped make Scribus a better program.
>
> there was a bug which came to light in the Windows version but was
> hidden at least in the FreeBSD version.
>
> Erich

This is an easy one:)

1) Exposing the code to Windows compilers unearthed several bugs which
did not show up in either GCC, even GCC 4.1 with the strictest flags
or in Sun's CC. Say what you want about MS, they do make decent
compilers.

2) Porting to Windows also has helped us to prepare for Qt4, which
when the time comes will be a plus for Scribus.

3) Most importantly, we added a developer who a: is not only a good
coder and a good guy, but b: a highly skilled image engineer who
works for one of the larger printers in France. Given the employment
situation here France, you don't get hired unless your very very good
at your job ;-)

Jean has contributed a pile of fixes for different parts of Scribus
which affect all versions. Example, Jean came up with the fix for
redawing grids in 1.3.3.1 which is much faster than before. If you
doubt me, look at the changelog and see who is responsible for the
fixes.

Peter