[Scribus] Torture Testing Scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Apr 11 23:25:14 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 20:03 schrieb Dave:
> On 11/04/06, Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Out of interest, why is that? :-)
> >
> > I wish I had been more precise: I don't allow commercial printing without
> > my permission. The reason is simple: I want to be asked before someone
> > publishes what I wrote, and I want to know where and how it is published.
> >  E. g. I would never allow commercial printing by a left or right wing
> > publisher.
>
> Wanting to know how your work is being used is admirable, and for me
> personally attribution is enough as its easy to search out your full
> name these days. I understand your position though.
>
> However, your example I respectfully dont agree with - "If we don't
> believe in freedom of speech for those we despise, then we don't
> believe in it at all." - and this is why I am always interested to
> hear what other people think about these issues and why :-)

This is not about freedom of speech. The documents can be freely distributed
and changed according to the rules of may licence. But I want to know who
wants to print it and why. Think about the following situation: Someone
prints my text, with my name on it but without my permission. Let's assume,
this person/publisher adds protected material from other sources, and I don't
know anything about it. Guess who will be sued? And it's harder, if not
impossible, to get already printed books off the shelves. With respect to the
example of left or right wing publishers, I want to protect my name (my work
does not only cover texts on computers/software, but others as well,
including history. As you may know, extremists tend to abuse history for
their goals)

Cheers

Christoph