[Scribus] Torture Testing Scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Apr 10 19:41:36 CEST 2006

Am Montag, 10. April 2006 17:14 schrieb Dave:
> On 10/04/06, Janet Hawtin <lucychili at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd be keen to see these training docs.
> > We are aiming to do some scribus training soon.
>
> I'm also planning to do Scribus training soon, as part of starting a
> computer and design training business later this year.
>
> I am disappointed to see a non-commercial restriction mentioned, and
> guess there's an allusion to the BY-NC-SA Creative Commons license.
>
> Remember Scribus is GPL and a non-commercial restriction is not in the
> spirit of freedom.
>
> For an example of how damaging this is, I really like the Inkscape
> tutorials that are embedded in Inkscape documents, and a
> non-commercial license prohibits that kind of thing.
>
> Given the problems with the GFDL its clear that there isn't yet any
> consensus on what a free license for documentation and training
> materials looks like. Creative Commons BY-SA is probably close...

There is no simple solution to that. It depends on what authors intend.
Personally, I contribute to the Wiki and I'm happy to share my contributions
freely with others. For other documents I prefer a license that is much like
the Scribus documentation license, which means distribution and use in
electronic form is permitted, and also changing the contents, provided no
third party's rights are violated. I don't permit commercial printing and I
strictly prohibit distribution after a conversion to reformed German spelling
(but that's a special German case).

I have good reasons for all those restrictions, so I won't release under the
GFDL.

> --
> Regards,
> Dave