[Scribus] about 1.3.3 WinXP

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Apr 10 14:13:57 CEST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 13:21, Meechmunchie wrote:
> Roberto J. Dohnert schrieb:
> > Can you point me to the issues that
> > you mention here?
>
> Here at me after a time it feels like that Scribus runs full of
> water like a big cup. Then Scribus doesn't hang up or crash. No,
> it's just doing nothing after "making clicks" oder runs very slowly
> from one second to another. These all sometimes, not everytime.
> --
> Andr? K?tbach
> ---> mailto:andre.kuetbach at ix-tech.de

1) Do you have virus software running in the background ?

2) Is system restore running a snapshot in the background.

I can say my one hesitation about porting Scribus to Windows was
dealing with "Scribus is slow,crashes,%insert_complaint" issues
owning to
a: poorly maintained machines
b: ones which have too many background tasks running
c: virus applications which drain performance
d: virus or spyware infested machines

Moreover, the certain system defaults in XP IMNSHO are pretty awful
e.g. "helpfully" hiding all the those system tray applets, too much
animation silliness, etc., all which suck the performance and hog
memory on Windows.

In my own experience on my wife's laptop it is a necessity to shut off
both virus scanner and system restore, plus a bunch of other
non-essential services to make it even usable. With those running on
a M1.5 with 512mb of memory,  my elderly PII-450 with heaps of ram
running Win2k runs faster ;-)

That said, I have been testing the Windows port, along with the Aqua
and Windows port. There are *some* areas where Linux has more speed
and *some* where Windows has more speed all things being equal. There
are quite a few variables which can affect the performance which are
outside of Scribus code.

We know the Aqua port is not quite as fast as the others, but also we
know this is directly attributable to Qt/Mac which is not as mature
as Qt/Win or Qt/X-11. I find the performance very much acceptable and
usable nonetheless.

Just my 0.02,

Peter