[Scribus] Styles and Openoffice writer odt import

Ian Malone ibmalone
Fri Apr 7 23:40:01 CEST 2006

Pierre-Luc Auclair wrote:
> My comment may pass as rude, but I have totally no idea since when apps like
> Word and OpenOffice have been considered as layout applications.

Who claimed they were?

> They are just too weak to do anything more than setting text in bold and text
> transport for people who don't have the knowledge to use real layouting apps.

This is why I was using scribus.

> OTOH, I'm interested to know what you are working on with such a big sheet
> size.

Conference paper.

> On Friday 07 April 2006 16:29, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>>> It was an A0 poster; the font size is sufficiently large that it's
>>> a pain to work with it in Writer. I suppose I could have changed
>>> the page size and zoomed out in Writer, but then you're
>>> starting to do the layout in Writer rather than Scribus.
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> I wonder why you are working in such a complicated way, but then I don't
>> know your project.

Partially because I wanted to experiment with scribus.  It also turns
out to be useful to have the content split up into seperate text files
so I can do things like give my supervisor parts to be incorporated in
a presentation.

>> If I were you, I wouldn't do any formatting in OO.o at all and create all
>> the paragraph styles in Scribus instead, especially if I were "only"
>> producing a poster. That way , I'd save myself a lot of trouble :)

This is basically what I ended up doing in the end.  It is annoying
though when you make a change in a source file, re-import it and
have to assign all the styles again. The 'markup' is already present,
it would have been nice to be able to make use of it.

--
imalone