[Scribus] Text import using tags - any progress?

Riku Leino tsoots
Thu Apr 6 17:48:15 CEST 2006

Riku Leino wrote:
> ps. My initial plan that i submitted to Coss was in finnish. I'll translate
> it and post here for your comments and additional ideas that could be
> included in my little project.

Here's the heavily edited English version. Please notice that it doesn't
describe anything at a deep level but only gives the generic ideas over what
I'll be doing during the project. So discussion on how you'd like to see all
these (and whatever more, not present here) happen is much appreciated.
For all our Finnish readers (do we have any?) here's also the original
document: http://www.saunalahti.fi/rikle/ps_scribus.pdf

Project plan
============
============

Foreword
========
bla bla bla

Project outline
===============
bla bla bla

Plugin interface for text importer plugins
Plugin interface is ment to be a simple api for coders to build
file format importers for Scribus. It will be acting in between the
plugins and Scribus' core text handling code.

Interface will allow two types of plugins to be written with it.
The most common type of plugin is a regular file format importer
plugin. This type of plugin will convert an external file format
into a Scribus understandable format and will be used for example
when importing text from a text file, OpenDocument Text file...
The second type of plugins, the api will make possible, is plugins
that will work on the formatting and text of the document
that is currently being imported.

To make these two plugin types possible plugin handling system
will need to allow piping of plugins. Ie. one can direct the output
of a file importer plugin to a style/text handling plugin. One
situation where this could be used is for example when removing
all formatting from an ODT file. The flow for such a setup is
presented in the following picture.

ODT -->
  Scribus ODT importer -->
    Style remover plugin -->
      Scribus text frame

Another possible use case for a plugin chain like this is when the person
responsible for the layout wants to remap the styles present in for
example OpenOffice.org document to ones in the Scribus Document.
Then one would direct the output of the ODT-importer to the style
remampping plugin which is presented in the next picture.

[insert pic 2 here]

bla bla bla

Plain text files
----------------
bla bla bla

OpenDocument Text files
-----------------------
bla bla bla

Text and Style Filters
----------------------
Text and style filters will allow search and replace type of
actions on the text and styles of the imported document. This
plugin will only work when piped with a file importer plugin.
The most important features it will offer are search and replace
for text, search and replace for styles and style application
based on user defined tags.

Rich Text Format files
----------------------
bla bla bla