[Scribus] OT simulating CMYK printing in RGB space

Vic Mortelmans vic_mortelmans
Sat Apr 1 20:41:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

slightly off-topic, since not about Scribus, but I posted because this
list has a lot of knowledge about printing techniques (and I'm currently
not involved in GIMP-lists).

I want to simulate the effect of multi-color offset printing. I have
available a set of layers in the GIMP, each layer in one of the
CMYK-colors. However, the GIMP doesn't have a layer mode that would show
me how the image would look like when all these layers are printed on
top of each other

What I tried out was to invert each of the layers, then use the
'Addition' layer mode on each layer, and invert the result back again.
Theoretically, this should be what I'm looking for, since each CMY-color
is the invert of one of the RGB-colors (isn't it?). In practice, it
looks like the right result...

I know the GIMP can decompose and compose CMYK-images, but I also want
to simulate printing with other spot colors, which should work just the
same.

To bring this topic in relation to Scribus, I'm considering creating a
duotone print job with specific inks. A special processing of bitmaps
can restore much of the original color information, but diversifying the
image printed in both inks. Actually, my question is related to some
experiments I'm conducting in that area, of which some information can
be read here:

http://users.pandora.be/vicmortelmans/fts/duotone

Feedback welcome!

Please don't confront me with the fact that I overlooked some
GIMP-feature that does all this out of the box :)

Groeten,

Vic