[Scribus] Linux Font Editor?

John Jordan johnxj
Fri Oct 28 17:47:51 CEST 2005

On 28 Oct 2005, at 11:37, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:

> Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2005 10:26 schrieb Tobias Hilbricht:
> > Am Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2005 22:48 schrieb John Jordan:
>
> > > But I still have a problem. The installation via Synaptic went
> > > without error, but the fonts do not appear in any application's
> > > font list.
> >
> > If I do as said above, then it works out of the box not only with
> > TeX, but also with Scribus. Please consult the Ubuntu manual on
> > installing packages there, but I think it will be the same there.
>
> Just to come back to one of your problems concerning installation of
> TIPA-fonts: once you have installed the fonts on Ubuntu for use with
> Scribus for example, then take the tipa-pfbs with the corresponding
> tipa-afms and copy them together into one directory on your Windows
> machine. ATM should recognize them, and you can use them there as
> well.

Synaptic did install it, or so it said. And the pfb and afm files are
located on the hard drive in usr/share/texm/fonts/Type1/tipa. After
adding this path to Scribus it now sees and can use the fonts.
However, they are still not listed in OpenOffice and I can't find an
equivalent place in OpenOffice to add the path. I thought that
adding them via Synaptic would just make them available system-
wide to all programs (like installing them via ATM on Windows).
But evidently there is something else that I have to do to make that
work.

It took a while with Konqueror, but I finally managed to copy the pfb
and afm files to my Windows 2000 computer that has ATM Deluxe
4.1 on it. However, ATM still sees no fonts when I point it to the
folder where the fonts are located. The pfb and afm for each font are
located in this folder. I opened an afm with Quickview and it seems
to be just a text file showing data for each character. It appears the
afm files were created by Ghostview. Evidently there is still
something odd about these files.

Also, now that I am able to use the fonts in Scribus, I can't figure
out the system for where the characters are located. I used Extras
> Insert special and it popped up a window (sort of like Character
Map). But each font lists only a few characters. I just fiddled with it
a bit, but so far I haven't found any of the combining diacritics (for
example). For those not familiar with IPA, these are special
symbols that you can stick on any character, like accents. They
are drawn so that they appear one character to the left of the actual
space where typed - but take up no space on the line, so the next
character's spacing is correct. In the IPA there are a ton of these.

There has to be a simpler way to insert the characters, or some
kind of system so I can find the right font. If I have to wade through
69 fonts with Insert Special to find the right character it's going to
be pretty tedious to set type with these fonts. Is there
documentation someplace that would help here?

Thanks for your help so far. :)